From:
R M WAHL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2008 04:26:22 +0000
It sounds there are multiple problems going on here with the low milk supply
and the nipple pain.  Has this mother been treated for a breast infection?
The chronic plugging and thickened milk on only one side makes me concerned
that there might be a bacterial infection.

In the Breastfeeding Medicine Journal 2007 2(2) 99-104 there is a article
called A Breastfeeding Mother with Chronic Breast Pain by Eglash and
Proctor.  Pain and Renauds were this mothers ongoing symtpoms.  She had been
treated for yeast with appropriate dosage and length of time with no
improvement.  She had some improvement with antibiotics and needed a longer
treatment time in order to completely clear the infection.  Eventually the
mother was able to breastfeed pain- free.  I don't have the article at home,
but there was also some discussion that it was difficult to clear this
infection from soft tissue and that is why there was a longer treatment
needed.

If someone has this article and has a more complete understanding of this
infectious process, I would appreciate more discussion.  Sincerely, Rachel
Wahl