From:
"Helen M. Woodman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 15:33:52 EST
Lactpals,

I do not know whether it is prejudice on my part but I have always felt that
there is the sound of crowing/pride when mother's of babies that are fed abm
tell you that their baby has gone onto the 'next stage' of abm because their
baby is a 'hungry' baby, especially if it is a baby boy.  They tell it with
glowing pride as if this baby has attained a status milestone.  The headline
blurb on the tins also imparts this to me - maybe this is subliminal
advertising or is it jaundiced old me?

Now the opposite reaction is often made by a breastfeeding mother or observer
when baby steps up production.  Sadly it can be the nail in the coffin for
breastfeeding because the baby is just 'too demanding' (especially if it is a
boy because 'they are just like all men - demanding').  I heard these last
words fall out of the mouth of chair of committee that looks at maternity
service care in hospital and community, when she felt the urge to divest
herself of her 'awful experience of breastfeeding'  :-(\

Kind regards
Helen, NCT BfC, Storrington, West Sussex, UK
mailto:[log in to unmask]