From:
Mary Alice Tinari <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 08:35:13 -0400
Dear Jon:

Greetings from the Tinari family. I am happy to see that Montgomery
county has taken a role in carrying out the goals of the Presidential
Summit held in Philadelphia this summer.  My own son, Philip, was
intrumental in bringing 200 volunteers from St. Josephs Prep to the
summit.

However, I was most distressed at the request for a can for formula as
admission.  I hope that this was a misguided attempt to help our
youngest citizens.  Research has shown that breastfeeding saves health
care dollars in preventing infections, allergies, improving
intelligence, and providing our children with optimum nutrition.  So
little is done in this county to promote breastfeeding. Not enough is
done even in our WIC offices which have a federal mandate to protect,
promote and support breastfeeding, thereby saving money, but more
importantly, making our children and mothers healthier.  The population
who will be receiving the donated formula stands the most to gain by
breastfeeding. Please join me in promoting, preserving and protecting
breastfeeding as the gold standard in infant feeding. Let us help more
mothers take advantage of the benefits of breastfeeding.

Mary Alice Tinari, RN, MSN, IBCLC
Huntingdon Valley, PA