Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 06:42:17 +0200
To add a few  words to Jessica's and Heather's thread on supply problems
of moms who have "breastfed" many babies, I think there is a real
problem here of perceived insufficient milk supply.  Most of them come
to me on day 1 or 2 complaining that they are sure that this time around
they have no milk and why do they think this?  Because we all remember
that 3rd day of engorgement, tenderness, swollen full breasts bursting
with milk and no one seems to remember day 1 and 2 where the breast is
NOT engorged.  This misperception may cause them to start giving bottles
much earlier than they would have otherwise and we all know the
consequences.
Another problem with these "older" moms is they usually have major
positioning problems.  You can spot an experienced mom by the way she
holds her baby, and I mean that in a negative way.  Disastrous
positioning.....cigarette hold, baby nearly hanging on the floor,
pulling the nipple with him. They come to me to get the name of whatever
nipple cream they always use, and when I suggest that maybe we correct
the positioning, they look at me like  " This is my 12th birth!! If I
don't know then who does?"  But I just sort of lift the baby up a little
and turn him more toward the mom and she is in shock that the pain is
gone!! " I breastfed 11 babies in excruciating pain for 2 months with
each one....I can't believe that it doesn't have to hurt!!"
So, even extremely experienced moms can benefit from your knowledge and
so can their babies!! Keep up the good work Jess!!

Esther Grunis, IBCLC
Lis Maternity Hospital
Tel Aviv, Israel
mailto:[log in to unmask]