From:
Michelle Meeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:17:11 -0500
The good thing about the gerber ziplocs - I have used Medela, Avent and
Gerber personally - is that you can lay them flat in the freezer after
burping the sir out so they freeze like flat little wafers of milk - thereby
taking up less space. I never got a Medela bag to seal well and you cant
store them laying on their sides, and the avent bags required clips so you
had to purchase quite a few of them if you planned to store any large amount
of milk.

For the record, bags are quite messy to deal with in a unit like a NICU. We
strongly discourage moms from storing the milk in baggies of any kind. The
risk for losing or contaminating the milk is just too high.

If you want references, check with the milk bank association guidelines for
storage of breastmilk

Michelle Meeks, RN