Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 10:51:32 -0500
 Please be careful not to assume that breastfeeding will "prevent" a baby or
child from developing type-1 diabetes. We have no history in my family yet
my youngest developed IDDM at 13 months. I was shocked and never thought one
of my (never had early cow's milk exposure) kids would get this. While we
were in the ICU with Fi another baby was brought also in DKA with IDDM at 8
months -also exclusively breastfeeding and had just started solids. The
Endocrinologist said they tend to see IDDM in "blooms" more in the winter
than summer and almost always after the baby or child has had a virus
(chicken pox, cocsukie, flu -etc).

Happily Fi continued to breastfeed till passed her 3rd birthday. Over the
past two years through my local children's hospital, the JDRF and LLLI, I
have received calls and e-mails from at least 10 other breastfeeding mothers
for support and information on how to continue to breastfeed their baby or
toddler after dx of type-1. Some have a history in the family and others don
t.

The message of your post below should read- why did this mom not check her
son's blood sugar overnight? One should never let a child with type-1 go
through the night w/o checking!!

Jenny Baughman

Mom to Mackenize ~8 dx celiac 11/03 and Fiona dx type-1 8/22/03 and celiac
10/03 Both breastfeed exclusivly till well passed six months, and weaned
respectivley at four years and three years two months.

I hope this mother will spread the word about how she feels about this! When
my son's friend, who had been diabetic since he was a year old, went to bed
exhausted and then never woke up, at barely 13 years old, I couldn't help
but wonder if there might have been someone who could have helped his

mother breastfeed, but didn't want to make anyone feel guilty! I know that
there was at least some history of diabetes in the family. So sad and, I
suspect, avoidable!

Darillyn

.