From:
Genelle Marie Dale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 10:42:58 -0600
        Hello Lactnetters,
It still amazes me how much I have learned from all the professional
information you all have given me.  I am a student at UND for those of
you who don't remember my question I posted a few weeks ago.  I was in my
clinical rotation in Labor and Delivery this week.  My mom who was 42
weeks gestation delivered a baby boy.  He weighed 4328kg.  It is a policy
for this hospital to check blood sugars periodically if the baby is over
4000kg.  The baby went to breast within 10 min of delivery however only
ate for approx. 10min.  The mom tried to nurse on the other side but baby
too tired.  The first bloodsugar was 37.  The MD was notified and it was
ordered to try breastfeed again and recheck the BS.  I was standing at
the nurses station when the order was given.  One of the nurses said lets
just give a bottle of formula and bring up the BS.  I was surprised and
dishearted.  I then decided to take a stance for my mom and tell the
nurses about the importance of letting this mom try to breastfeed.  It
was with all the knowledge I have gained on lactnet that I could support
the information I was giving them.   I would like to thank you again for
all the support and information that everyone contributes.

                Genelle Dale (a forever learning student)!!