From:
Susanna Eve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 16:02:56 +0000
Hi everybody,
I am a LLLL with 5 kids.  I was nomail for quite a while but my baby
is now 3 months old and I am back.  I wanted to post about the death
of a breastfed infant from salmonella.  I had seen this baby at a
homeschooling fair when he was 3 weeks old, he was healthy and
thriving.
This is what happened:
I don't know what type of salmonella it was but a 3 month died very
suddenly in Lunenburg Nova Scotia last fall of salmonella.  He was
completely breastfed, a seventh child who lived on a farm.  He went
from mildly ill for a day or so to dead upon arrival at a hospital
close to their home.  The salmonella diagnosis was after an autopsy.
The symptoms were slight fever and a little diahrrea.  It is thought
the infection must have been in the farm yard, maybe the chickens.
He had 2 siblings under the age of 5.
Good hygiene like hand washing is hard to keep up with  children
under the age of 5.  Nobody else in that family seemed to have
contracted the salmonella infection.
Susanna

Canadian Homeschool Resource Page
http://www.flora.org/homeschool-ca/