From:
Carol Chamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 08:27:32 EDT
There is a growth chart for Down's babies and I believe it's on the Down's
Association website.  I've given copies of this chart to moms to inform them.
 It seems some docs know about this chart and use it to plot out babies and
others don't, thus using a "normal" growth chart. If using a "normal" chart,
since Down's babies grow slower, they're giving inaccurate messages in terms
of growth.  I think I also have the article in my file cabinet that supports
the research done to support Down's babies/children having slower weight gain
as a norm.  We should all reference the appropriate Down's growth chart when
working with a Down's baby.  Not only is it the appropriate clinical tool to
assess the baby, but we may be the only health care professional to educate
the mom on this important fact.  I've found that when moms are educated about
the slower weight gain norm, I've given them the support, along with other
interventions to faciliate milk transfer to maintain the breastfeeding
experience.
Carol Chamblin, RN, MS, IBCLC
Breast 'N Baby Lactation Services, Inc.
St. Charles, IL