From:
Mary Herrington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 2006 17:45:35 -0800
I just had a colleague who also happens to be an MD say out loud in front of several nurses that breastfeeding only makes a difference for the first 2 months of life, after that the newborn has a mature immune system and that after 2 months it makes no difference whether you formula feed or breastfeed or not.....
  ok,
  I am proud of myself in that I very respectfully said to him that that was simply not true.  Frst of all, all the research states that breastfeeding makes a difference past 2 months and that I disagreed that the immune system of a newborn was "mature" at 2 months of life.

  He said there was a study by the AAP that stated this.  I jokingly said it must have been funded by Ross Laboratories(this is an MD that we joke with a lot)

  I said I could get him other research that demonstrated otherwise

  I have been googling and unfortunately I am not coming up with a whole lot.  Thank Gawd I have one study that is published in Pediatrics, th AAPs journal that clearly states the infant immune system is not mature as far as B-cell response until aprox 2 years of age.

  Interestingly, I am finding that by around 3months of life the infant has aprox adult level functioning of T-cells, producing IGA at adult levels.

  Any help with studies regarding infant immune system development would help me a lot as I am working extra to pay off bills and can't google all night long!

  Thank you,

  Mary Herrington, RN, IBCLC
  Lactation, Memorial Hermann Northwest
  Labor & Delivery, Memorial Hermann The Woodlands