From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 13:43:35 -0400
Hi all. Donna C. recently posted:

I went to a "Chat" room.  What I did not like was the subject
material,
what I did like was the fact that a host was present and was
responsible
to get rid of inappropriate comments (which were in abundance). It is
bit uncomfortable to me not to know who is plugged in to our
discussions
without a forum like this.  Kathy and Kathy, has this been a concern
of anyone else.

Donna....The key word here is RESPONSIBLE. Kathy A and I listen to the
comments that are made here AFTER they are posted on Lactnet. We do not
moderate, we do not kick people out, and we do not filter out inappropriate
comments. We do speak to individuals who do not adhere to the rules of the
list.  We have no way of knowing who is actually listening to our
conversation. ASSUME that anyone off the street is listening.  Never say
anything you wouldn't want printed on the front page of the NY TIMES.  That
is my advice.

If Kathleen A or I were moderators....instead of listowners, we would then
place ourselves in the uncomfortable place of being responsible for anything
said here...if it was incorrect, inaccurate, etc.   WE just run the
list...making sure the computer works properly...monitoring errors....and
making sure that everyone plays nicely.  But we cannot be responsible for
comments made here.

Kathleen B.
Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC, LLL Leader
Co-Owner Lactnet, LLLOL, Corgi-L E-mail lists
LACTNET WWW site: http://www.mcs.com/~auerbach/lactation.html
"The better part of one's life consists in his friendships." Abraham
Lincoln, 1849.