From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:01:26 +1100
Norma,
This is also one of my bug bears (and it's much worse in the adoption world
where they should have more of a clue). I've overheard attendees complain
about the presence of children ("we have kids around us all day at work- we
should have a break at a conference" !!!) and also about noise and
distraction caused by children. It's that child-hostile culture that is part
of what makes breastfeeding so difficult for mothers. Those who get what
breastfeeding is about should also get that creating environments that allow
young children to be with their mothers is important. I'm always very glad
to see/hear children at conferences/seminars that I speak at or attend. I
think that conference organisers should be explicit about the reasons behind
allowing children at conferences and explain it in enrolment brochures etc
so that those considering attending know both that there will likely be
children present and also know why this is the case. There's no need to
apologise.
Karleen Gribble
Australia