From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2006 21:40:52 -0700
You're touched a very sensitive chord in me!  As we continue in our
profession, it's important that we search not just for CERPs, but identify
those areas we need more education/information on, and try to locate courses
that will meet those needs.

Some places to locate CERPs that can also add to your knowledge could be:

* through the Journal of Human Lactation/ or the Intedpendent Study Modules
in www.ilca.org  (http://www.ilca.org/education/independentstudy.php)
* through the Independent Study Modules offered by La Leche League
International: http://www.llli.org/prof.html.
* in the California Model Hospital Toolkit (www.mch.dhs.ca.gov/programs/bfp)
you will find some sources of on-line training/education:

http://www.mch.dhs.ca.gov/documents/hosp-refs/Distance_Learning_BF_courses.d
oc

I realize these cost money - whether you take courses or do independent
study or attend conferences - there is a cost.  But nothing compared to the
cost of finding yourself, year after year, falling behind in the research
and new information.  I hope the above will give you some resources that
will be helpful.

In addition to CERPs, I've been advocating for "cross-training" or
"cross-pollination" of our profession.  Those who work in home visiting,
need exposure to NICU and normal hospital-newborn care.  Those who work with
NICU or Hospitals, need exposure to La Leche League and learning about how
to deal with WIC and helping  a mom continue to breastfeed - not just for a
week or a month - but for years, if that is her wish...and we need to know
how to support those moms.

There are many times when I am asked in official governmental meetings "how
long do I think a mother should breastfeed" or "isn't it a time at which we
should be telling mothers there is no more reason to breastfeed".  We need
to know the answers to those questions - as well as the reasons to explain
to a pregnant mom why she should try to breastfeed in the first place!

I wish there were a way to earn CERPs for "gaining experience outside of
your specialty or comfort zone"...

Jeanette Panchula, BSW,RN,PHN,IBCLC
Vacaville, CA