From:
Ruth Roazen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:28:35 -0700
The only thing I would comment on here is that I would encourage the mom to
continue to pump while at work, my concern would be that if she does not
pump, even if it is just three times in a full work day, for say 10 minutes,
that her milk supply could down-regulate to a degree that she could have a
supply problem.

I'm a LLL leader and we recently had an enrichment meeting about working and
breastfeeding and one thing we emphasized is that frequency of milk removal
is more important than time, that pumping once at lunch time for 30 minutes
is less effective at maintaining supply than pumping three times (mid
morning, lunch time, mid-afternoon) for 10 minutes each.

I also experienced the baby who won't take a bottle myself, I went to nurse
my daughter each day at lunch and pumped mid-morning and mid-afternoon, the
most she ever took at daycare (between the ages of 6 months and year)
between two feedings in a day was 5 ounces, and it took the caregiver 30-45
minutes for each feeding. She also reverse-cycle nursed.

Ruth Roazen, LLLL
Flagstaff, AZ