From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 11:40:54 -0700
Jean C. said: "...reading labels-how harmful it is to mix it wrong! need to
check expiration
dates and recalls-babies have died from contaminated formula! If you do it
right they will all be asking to breastfeed!!!  Formula feeding is hard-we
make it too easy in the hospital!"

A little over 3 mos ago, we started two new programs: Transition Nursery
and Couplet Care.
Our Head Neo thought the Trans Nsy would increase our excl BF rate!? Huh?
But I digress.

What the RNs say about our Couplet Care is that the moms are exhausted at
discharge from the hospital because they are expected to be so completely
responsible for baby care, including breastfeeding. Some RNs say when mom
asks to leave baby in the Nsy & the RN to feed formula, they don't argue,
they just do it so mom can get some rest. Of course, we have the 2oz or
2.5oz bottles of free RTF formula. What if the RNs had to teach all the
moms how to prepare powdered formula, for every formula feed, according to
the current FDA guidelines that recommend boiling the water, mixing the
formula, and cooling it down - then at feeding time, warming to feeding
temp. All this to guard against the small but potentially deadly risk of
that e.sakazakii (sp?) bacteria found last year in Portagen. It's possible
in ANY powdered formula. And powder is what they get from WIC. Talk about
exhausted at discharge! They have no idea!

Initial numbers: the Initiation Rate shot up to 90%, but the percentages
are going in the wrong direction: the "Mostly BR" is dropping and the
"Mostly ABM" is growing. The Excl BF is 0 - down from an avrg of 3.5% (high
of 8% once).

"The hurrier we go, the behinder we get."

--- Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC