From:
The Spranges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 22:58:38 -0500
This is my first post on Lactnet so I would like to introduce myself. My name is Jan Sprange and I have been working with breastfeeding women for many years in a hospital setting as a staff nurse on L&D and postpartum. I am also a childbirth educator with 12 years experience and have recently started working at an inner city clinic as a perinatal nurse.
My question, for the collective wisdom of all those on Lactnet, concerns breastfeeding and iron deficiency anemia among First Nations babies. One of the physicians that I work with is wondering if there is a connection between breastfeeding and the development of iron deficiency anemia among these babies, who seem to double there birth weight much sooner than Caucasian babies. His concern is that by encouraging these mothers to wait until their babies are 4-6 months old, to introduce iron fortified cereal, that we may be depriving these babies of iron that they need. He wonders if we should be suggesting cereal at 2 !/2 to 3 months instead of waiting till 4 months. Any suggestions??
I need evidence based answers that will prove that the iron in breastmilk is easier for the baby to digest and would also be interested to know if there is any evidence that First Nations babies double there birth weight faster that others. I am referring to Canadian urban aboriginals but any info. regarding aboriginal people from other countries with regard to this matter would also be helpful. Perhaps Dr. Newman can be of particular help here, being a Canadian professional!
Thanks in advance, and I look forward to reading your posts.

Waiting in Winnipeg,
Jan Sprange RN, CPIC