From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2010 18:34:10 -0600
Hi Seema, Because the baby was a bit early, and because the baby was SGA,
that is perhaps the reason the dr. feels the baby needs extra iron. I would
counsel mom that most babies who are totally breastfeeding and doing well
would not need additional iron, and that the iron in mother's milk is
absorbed so much better. That you cannot be sure why the dr. feels this baby
needs additional iron, but that mother certainly can discuss with the dr.
that she desires exclusive bf and does not wish to have milk supply problems
or resume fertility too early by using regular formula bottles. She can tell
dr that she is working very hard to get baby to breast. She can ask what
signs or symptoms would she have to watch for, and could the baby have a
test to see if he really really needs the iron. Sometimes moms are just not
aware they can state what their wishes are and what alternatives are
available. Very rarely is there just one way to do things.
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA