Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 04:57:56 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
The only way I have been able to get a good latch with both my kids in 2 years, 9 months of breastfeeding is with the "nipple sandwich."  I refer to it as the "pancake."  However, I keep my hand behind the aerola.  I think a lot of it has to do with the shape of a woman's breast and the shape of the aerola.  I just can't get a deep enough latch that feels good to me without using the "C" hold and kind of squashing the aerola.  I am VERY weird about positioning and latch, and I am hypersentive to any changes.  What may be a perfectly fine latch with milk transferring effectively just isn't comfortable to me.  Both my kids have to be latched on EXACTLY the way I want it, or it's like nails on a blackboard.

That said, I have only recommended this technique one time on the phone.  Mom described how she was trying to get the baby to latch on, even with the help of the LC at the hospital, and baby would just not get off the nipple.  I threw it out there as one suggestion to try to get a deep latch.  Mom called the next day and said it no longer hurt to get the baby latched on, and things were good.

So, I think it can be used as you said - if things are not working, but not as a regular course of action.

Tamara
  Miami, FL

---------------------------------
Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles.
Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2