From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 10:01:57 -0500
It is interesting how we each view this video.

In Puerto Rico, we had a level of cesareans (65% in some hospitals) that
was horrible.  And with that, came the statements that "you can't
breastfeed after a cesarean".

It was wonderful to show this self attachment video showing a baby behaving
normally even after a cesaren - moms cried, dads cheered the baby on, and
you could sense in the room a relief that their baby could be normal.

As there is no talking in the video, and the written words are in English,
I usually explained to the families that in a cesarean babies usually get
less epidural than in a vaginal delivery with epidural - where the baby
stays inside for hours and hours - sometimes receiving additional doses.
In this way I could explain the more alert behavior of this baby.

However, I did explain the "wet baby" appearance and behavior of cesarean
babies - so many of them are so full of mucus they don't seem to be hungry
for a lot longer than their vaginal-birth counterparts.  So I did try to
give them a more realistic idea of how their baby may behave.

Having used the "self attachment" method with babies even days after
delivery, I also tell parents not to give up - to call and ask for help
even if things did not go well in the hospital.

All this was explained during or after the showing of this video.  It
brought about much discussions and many questions - and was a real "upper"
to begin classes with.

____

As for clients vs. patients - I'm used to using patients when working in
the hospital and client when working in the outpatient services.  Frankly,
I don't see myself as much of a health care professional who "treats" a
patient - but more like a teacher who "educates" - but can't imagine
calling the clients "students".

After I establish a relationship, evaluate, discuss their wants and decide
what I think the family needs (to avoid the use of the word "diagnose") -
the rest of my time is spent not "treating" but "teaching:"
        - How to correct the problem,
        - What options/alternatives they have
        - What to watch out for
        - Resources available
        - When to return

In fact, in recently writing my resume, this is how the objective "came
out" - any thoughts?

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA
mailto:[log in to unmask]