From:
Family Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 10:46:24 +0100
When I trained as a midwfe in the early 70's we used to give all antenatal
inpatients (and there were loads of them) guinness with a raw egg beaten in
it because, as the advert used to say "Guinnness is Good for you"! but then
we also used to give them large doses of phenobartitone for their blood
pressures as well!!!
I have an Ovaltine advert from the 30's. 'Ovaltine, Builds up Brain, Nerve
and Body' then goes on to describe it as "the perfect food beverage for
children. It provides every nutritive element required to build up a strong,
sturdy body..."  They even had a children's club, The Ovaltineys,- my sister
was one.
I think it was promoted to the weak and infirm as well so, I suppose the
'lying-in' woman would fall into that category.
I always knew that my store of useless information would come in handy
sometime
Hilary in Somerset UK