From:
Amy Shelton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 23:46:21 -0600
I'll jump in on this thread. There are two excellent physicians in my
town in regards to breastfeeding. The first is my very own pediatrician,
chosen specifically for his knowledge of and support of breastfeeding
(his own chilren were breastfed, his nurse breastfed hers past the age
of two). They have started referring all their patients with
breastfeeding questions to me, as they don't have time to sit and deal
with the basic general questions/problems most moms have. If somebody is
having a serious problem, of course they deal with it in the office,
then refer on to me if necessary.

The other doctor is a family practitioner. His first child with his
first wife was not breastfed. At that time, his attitude about
breastfeeeding was not very good. He has since divorced, remarried, had
another child, who was breastfed. He is now very supportive of
breastfeeding, willing to admit when he doesn't know something, and
willing to learn from the local LLL Leaders. With the help of one of our
Group mothers, who is a patient of his, we have greatly increased his
knowledge of thrush (from the LC series on candidiasis) and treating
recurrent mastitis.

This family practitioner is much closer to my home. If I didn't have
such a good relationship with my PED, I would switch to him in a
heartbeat. These doctors really stand out from the crowd!

Amy
--
*  Amy Shelton, mom to Abby (6/93) and Christopher (5/96)
*