Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2012 15:40:50 -0500
Marsha writes:

A  bottle-feeding video is available from the National Association of
Pediatric  Nurse Practitioners (NAPNAP)  at:

http://www.infantformula.org/Baby-Formula-Preparation-Video-for-Parents-Who-
Formula-Feed-their-Infants

~~~
Norma already mentioned what I would call the casual mention in passing of
the "optimum" nature of breastfeeding, while formula is seen as another
excellent choice a mother should be "confident" about since it is portrayed
and  offering flexibility and convenience. The lack of mention of 70 C/158F
water for  reconsituting Powdered AIM was mentioned too. The one thing which
is subtle but  I really find is disturbing was that   all of the bottles
shown  were huge, those 8-10 oz ones. ( It also seemed like a subtle ad for one
particular brand, every bottle seemed to be that shape and one could often
see the logo.) I think one thing any video promoting safe formula
preparation and use for all those "healthy babies" ( also the mother saying both
her children, one formula fed and one breastfed, as being both "healthy" may
be  how it seems to that mother, but it is statistically and population-wise
a  falsehood,) should cover is normal feeding portions. Super-sizing feeds
is all  too common for formula feeding babies. Seeing even one 4 ounce bottle
in there  would have been a really good idea as would be a discussion of
normal feeding  portions ( often abnormally large portions are recommended by
local MDs, RNs,  and SLT/OTs).  I would rather a mother who wanted to give
up breastfeeding  in favor of formula feeding called me, so she could get
individualized  suggestions. Without any mention of the lack of sterility of
all powdered AIMs,  how to deal safely with this, and the promotion of
breastfeeding as an "optimum"  but really just another lifestyle choice, I would
not feel comfortable showing  anyone this video except as a discussion
starter. ( Another subtle difference:  the formula feeding mom was ""on-the'-go"
back to work, out and about, the  breastfeeding mom was sitting at home....)

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA