From:
Nina Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 16:31:48 +1100
 And I must add my tuppence worth.  As part of my research I have
subscriptions to parenting mags from O/S.  The (insert brand name here) Mum
and Baby Club is advertised heavily in those mags.  When you join they send
you a branded soft toy (a cow with no udder!!!).  Now in Australia, this
behaviour would probably be proscribed by the voluntary (and IMO not well
adhered to) agreement that is supposed to give effect to the international
code.  If it wasn't I am sure it would be frowned upon by the Health
Ministry. When I signed up there was a message saying that the gift couldn't
be shipped O/S.  Guess what arrived in my mail box today????   I can just
imagine mothers putting these in the cot with their babies - talk about
positive brand association.
And the slip that came with it reads, "As a member of the (insert brand name
here) Mum and Baby Club, don't forget that our team od experienced Mums,
Midwives and Healthcare Professional are on hand if you'd like to chat about
anything concerning your pregnancy or  your baby - just give us a call."
truly frightening
Nina Berry BA/Bed(Hons) Dip Arts(Phil)
Breastfeeding Counsellor
PhD Candidate - "Ethical Issues in the marketing of 'Toddler Milks'"