From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 20:32:51 EST
Hello Everyone,
I just wanted to give you an update on my case and thank Jean, Lynn, and all
those who gave me assistance.
Jean and Lynn, your diagnosis was correct: edema of the nipple and areola
tissue. I feel bad that I was not at work the next day so when I did return
some of the edema was subsiding and she was getting milk to express both from
the pump and hand expression.  The down side is the Mom did not follow our
recommendations to express at least 8x/day and only expressed 3-4.  She was
very engorged and we have been working with this.  Today she increased her
pumping and was getting 20cc's per pumping.  The baby will go to breast but
does not latch well and poor sucking.
My question to you Jean: how does the reverse pressure work if the baby
cannot nurse?  Do you recommend this prior to pumping?
We are hoping she will not lose any of her milk supply during all of this.
Thanks again and I will keep all this information for any future cases.
Ann Perry RN, IBCLC
Boston, MA