Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 00:20:35 -0500
Hello,  My name is Carrie, I have not been active on Lactnet for a awhile.
Was nomail since Christmas and then just stayed on the sidelines.

I am a Peer Counselor and have been for 3 years.  My goal someday is to
become a La Leche League Leader and then a Lactation Consultant.  I would
also like to become a birthing assistant.  All of this is in the long
running.

Anyway, there are 2 situations that I am trying to find out more information
about.  I have talked with one lady who is 6 months pregnant.  They have
found out that their unborn child has a genetic disorder called Trisomy 13.
From what she told me, there is next to nil chance of survival for this
child.  Does anyone know anything about this or who has had to deal with
this situation.  If this child lives for even a short time, would there be a
possibility of breastfeeding?

The other situation is another lady recently delivered a baby boy that
survived for a few hours.  They were able to take him home where he later
died.  This baby was born with little or no brain.  The back of the head was
not developed.  Otherwise the baby was perfect.  She was prepared for this,
but the interesting thing about this was that the baby actually tried to
nurse.  I don't know exactly the correct name for ths except that I know it
starts with hydro.

Any info on these disorders would be greatly helpful.  Also, when you do
come across a situation where the outcome does not look good for the baby,
how as a breastfeeding consultant or for that matter any health-care
professional deal with this.  Is it wise to encourage breastfeeding or would
that only add to the hurt?  While they are pregnant, and know that their
baby will die, how would one counsel, console that woman?

Thanks,
Carrie