From:
Patty Spanjer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 21:09:22 -0400
        I am presently no mail, so please reply to me personally at
[log in to unmask] if you have any insights or ideas about this.
        A mom (who is a Labor and Delivery Nurse)a collegue and I are working with
has had two previous babies.  Each time she claims her breasts became rock
hard within an hour of birth and nothing would relieve the engorgement.
The LC at the hospital worked with her after the second baby.  I had seen
her once after the first baby when it was a few days old, but she (actually
her husband) was reluctant to follow my advice to hold the baby and nurse
frequently.  During this pregnancy she approached me ahead of time, and we
discussed a lot of ideas to prevent the engorgement.  As I was to be out of
town at the time of the birth (planned induction), I alerted the hospital
LC (with the mom's permission).  Apparently everything went well after the
birth, and baby was nursing well.  BW was 7'5".  A collegue saw mom and
baby today. She is 11 days old.  Weight is now 6' 14".  Mom's breasts have
"deflated".  They are MUCH smaller than they were a couple of days ago.
(this is according to the mom).  Baby nurses a lot-wants to nurse all the
time, but my collegue saw only a few minutes of swallowing, even though she
felt the baby was latched on well.  Mom feels no let down.  Mom has been
told in the past she has high estrogen levels.
Does any one have any ideas?  My collegue suggested Reglan.  I think a
sling to keep baby close when not nursing may help, as mom tries to lay
baby down after 40+ minutes of nursing, and baby fusses immediatly.  I feel
shorter nursing time, but more holding might help.  Any other ideas.
Thanks so much.
Patty Spanjer, IBCLC
Dalton, Georgia