Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2008 19:16:40 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
A very BF-friendly ped called me .... on of her patients (well, patient's mom) was recently diagnosed, inher early 30's, with macular degeneration.  Mom has a nine-month-old who BFs about 5 times daily.

The Eye MD is giving mom the choice of: Avastin IV eyedrops (or) photodyanamic therapy, where mom has some sort of dye injected, making her very sun-sensitive for five days, and then lasers are used (in the eye?) to deal with the macular degeneration.  He was stumped when she asked about lactation -- he said his customary patient with this condition is way past lactation age!

Sorry I can't give you better clues than this.  And no, I don't know (yet) what the dye is that Mom would get is she went the photodynamic therapy route.

Avastin IV isn't in Hale's or on Lactmed.  The great folks in Rochester found all the same sorts of stuff I did:  very scary and not for BF moms because Avastin was originally designed as a chemotherapy drug.  Its use for macular degeneration is actually off-label ... but they tell me that if Mom goes that route, it would be an "intra-vitrol injection."  (OOOH!  Did you cringe and squeal like I did?).

The nice ped, the nice Rochester folks, and I all have the same gut feeling:  using Avastin won't require that BF stop.  Maybe during the course of a treatment, but not altogether?  But we all want something more than our gut.  Anyone have any clues?  

Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLCWyndmoor, PA, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2