From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 15:35:28 -0500
>Does anyone else have the impression that people are way more concerned
>about breastfeeding in public than they were 15-20 years ago?  That we're in
>an age of new puritanism?

I was amazed by the dress Marilyn Monroe is wearing in this week's TIME
magazine article on John Kennedy.  Skin-colored, so skin-tight that it's
depressed around her navel, and clinging to breasts that are breast-shaped.
I showed it to my teenaged sons:  "Whoa!"  Despite all the current glitz,
slits, piercings, and big talk, I think you're right.  I think we were less
uptight about how much showed a generation ago.  But then, maybe that's
what all these big shirts and oversized sweaters are about.  We've gone
back into hiding.  Sigh.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY, who never heard a negative
comment nursing her 18 and 15 year olds (but then, they weren't 18 and 15
at the time...)