From:
Melisa Crosby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 23:28:05 -0700
Hello all!

We had a LLL toddler meeting at my home this evening and a couple of new
moms came with questions that stumped me and other leaders present.  I'd
appreciate any help with these.  First, the mother of an 18-month old
complained of only having milk in her right breast which is noticably
larger than the left.  When her child was a newborn she had "a little"
milk but baby didn't like to nurse on that side and has more or less
refused ever since. She's used a pump on and off in an effort to
increase milk supply but had no success.   I asked about obvious
things:  injury, surgery, mastitis, (and she volunteered that she
"didn't even have pierced nipples or tattoos or anything!")  There
hasn't been a problem with baby's growth--she seems worried mostly about
looks, I think.  She did mention being "flatter" now on the left side
than pre-pregnancy.  Could this indicate any kind of health issue or is
it just a funky variation of normal?

Mom #2 has a 2 year old conceived after 3 years of infertility.  They
used the drug "perganol" (she wasn't sure of the spelling) for 7 days
followed by 2 weeks of progesterone.  They want to initiate the same
treatment in a few months to begin another pregnancy but child #1 is
still nursing 3 times a day.  What does anyone know about the safety of
these medications while nursing a toddler?  Should she get started on
weaning?  I realy didn't have much to offer either of these women and
would appreciate any input.  Thanks!

Melisa Crosby, LLL leader in Portland, OR