From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:47:13 -0600
Another book that I found helpful in understanding women's mothering choices
was "Mother Nature: A History of Mothers, Infants, and Natural Selection"
by Sarah Blaffer Hrdy.

She points out that decisions that mothers make (even if they seem to be not
in the interest of her child) usually are (from her point of view, given her
situation and the knowledge that she has), because we all want our genes to
continue.  So the mom who chooses to work rather than breastfeed, probably
honestly believes she can provide for her child better by the income she
earns, than the (seemingly) minimal health consequences.  Or if she choose
to not breastfeed to "keep her shape" and be available to her husband, again
she probably honestly believes that she will provide better for her child by
keeping her husband interested and in the family, than risk his
unfaithfulness, and having a breastfed child.

A sad commentary on the women's position in society, I think, but this
emphasizes so strongly why we need to work on the social conditions
surrounding women - and to increase the respect for mothering as a vital
role for society.

Janice Reynolds