From:
Kathy Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 11:44:00 EDT
I use the balloons for many teaching isues. first, I hand them out at the
beginning of class, and it is really a great ice breaker to relieve the
tension that the dads often have for being there (I have found that many of
them think they are going to witness actual baring of breasts in class). Some
make little balloons and some make large ones. I use this as an example of
how breasts come in all different sizes and still have the same milk-making
structures. I then use them throughout the class as appropriate to the topics
discussed: looking at the internal structures as they are described;
practicing hand expresson; using them to demo how different types of pumps
work (i.e., the ones with self-release vs non -- very effective at showing
this); then when I talk about engorgement, I seek out a very overly full
balloon and a much softer one, and compare them as to how a baby can latch
onto the soft, flexible one but not onto the very full, hard, engorged one.

I guess as a visual learner myself, I have learned to incorporate all types
of teaching methods including lots of hands on (remember, we learn better by
using more of our senses).

Anyone else with ideas for using these balloons???

Kathy Rubin IBCLC RNC in NJ