From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2010 00:16:40 +0000
Christine

There's been some work done on the immunological
and vitamin content of home-pasteurized human
milk in the context of BF and HIV.  Here is an
abstract of a 2008 paper:  Israel-Ballard KA et
al. Vitamin content of breast milk from
HIV-1–infected mothers before and after
flash-heat treatment. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 48: 444–449, 2008.

Background: World Health Organization advocates heat treatment
of expressed breastmilk (EBM) as one method to reduce postnatal
transmission of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in developing
countries. Flash-heat is a simple heat treatment method shown to
inactivate cell-free HIV.
Objective: To determine the effect of flash-heat on vitamin content
of milk.
Methods: Fresh EBM was collected from 50 HIV+ mothers in
Durban, South Africa. Mothers washed their hands and then manually
expressed 75–150 mL EBM into sterile jars. Milk was aliquoted to
unheated controls or flash-heat (50 mL EBM in a glass jar heated in
a 450-mL water jacket in an aluminum pan until water boiled, then
EBM removed) simulating field conditions with an open flame. Samples
were stored at 270C and then analyzed for the effect of flashheat
on vitamins [A, ascorbic acid, riboflavin (B2), pyridoxal-5-phosphate
(B6), folate, and B12].
Results: Vitamin A was not significantly affected by flash-heat and
vitamins B12 and C and folate increased significantly. Vitamins B2
and B6 were decreased to 59% (95% confidence interval 44 to 81) and
96% (95% confidence interval 92 to 99), respectively, of that found in
unheated milk.
Conclusions: The percentage remaining after flash-heat suggests
that most vitamin concentrations are retained after heating. Flash-heat
may be a practical and nutritious infant feeding method for mothers in
developing countries.

Hope this helps.  Much of the immunological
components remain intact too.  And I seem to
remember something about the lactoferrin
remaining largely unchanged, but would have to hunt for that ....!

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England