From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 May 2009 11:57:27 -0400
In International Nutrition there is a lot of research to support "active" feeding of toddlers
as a means of mitigating malnutrition.  The active engagement of the parent is important
as opposed to disinterested feeding -- leave the food out and they'll eat it.  Eating is a
social affair and most of us eat better when we are in social eating situation.

It seems to me that the issue with breastfeeding is similar.  If you are rule-based you
may be watching the clock more than the baby and missing out on the active engagement
-- and learning the baby's cues.

My section on the feeding part my prenatal class now revolves around reading the baby's
cues and trying GENTLE stimuli to see what elicits a response in the baby.  To date I have
NEVER needed to use a wet wash cloth on a baby ever.  But then, I have the luxury of my
own time table.  My visits can last up to three hours because I find that it is just too
disruptive to the baby to try to figure out how to time a visit and nudge the baby into
eating when I walk in the door.  I learned this from a visit where I spent about 2-1/2
hours trying to nudge a baby into feeding and thinking the baby was too fatigued to eat
and that I'd have to set up a pumping and supplementing with EBM plan when -- the baby
woke up at the very end of the visit and fed spectacularly well.  She just wasn't ready to
eat.

I always tell parents to drop the stimuli that don't result in a response, but to try things
out so they get used to handling their baby and gain confidence.  Most of the talk is on
swallows and behavior, very little on diapers and weight.

Best, SUsan