Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 May 2009 11:57:27 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
In International Nutrition there is a lot of research to support "active" feeding of toddlers 
as a means of mitigating malnutrition.  The active engagement of the parent is important 
as opposed to disinterested feeding -- leave the food out and they'll eat it.  Eating is a 
social affair and most of us eat better when we are in social eating situation.

It seems to me that the issue with breastfeeding is similar.  If you are rule-based you 
may be watching the clock more than the baby and missing out on the active engagement 
-- and learning the baby's cues.

My section on the feeding part my prenatal class now revolves around reading the baby's 
cues and trying GENTLE stimuli to see what elicits a response in the baby.  To date I have 
NEVER needed to use a wet wash cloth on a baby ever.  But then, I have the luxury of my 
own time table.  My visits can last up to three hours because I find that it is just too 
disruptive to the baby to try to figure out how to time a visit and nudge the baby into 
eating when I walk in the door.  I learned this from a visit where I spent about 2-1/2 
hours trying to nudge a baby into feeding and thinking the baby was too fatigued to eat 
and that I'd have to set up a pumping and supplementing with EBM plan when -- the baby 
woke up at the very end of the visit and fed spectacularly well.  She just wasn't ready to 
eat.

I always tell parents to drop the stimuli that don't result in a response, but to try things 
out so they get used to handling their baby and gain confidence.  Most of the talk is on 
swallows and behavior, very little on diapers and weight. 

Best, SUsan 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2