Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:10:31 -0400
I'm just catching up on my mail and am enjoying this thread on natural
rhythms.  It seems we do much to circumvent nature's clock every day; going
to bed six hours after sunset might be an example.  There is an article in
the March 2000 Scientific American by Michael Young, professor and head of
the Laboratory of Genetics at the Rockefeller University (and Director of
the Rockefeller unit of the National Science foundation's Science and
Technology Center for Biological Timing) about our biological clocks. In it
there is a side bar that sketches body changes over a 24 hour period of time
that states 1:00 A.M. as being the time that pregnant women are most likely
to go into labor.  Other timely factors also might explain why we notice
deaths or even crises more at certain times of day such as pain thresholds
being lowest at 9:00 P.M.

Lorri Centineo
Maine