From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 02:30:34 +0000
Thanks for all responses. The HIPAA stuff is just coming about at our
facility. I will have to discuss with my manager what I will have to change
in my hospital practice (my files, phone calls etc). Re the dyad in question
about child protection: The mother states she has seen a pediatrician, she
gave me the name and no. and I sent my report to the doc. Mom states baby is
now 8#6, at day 23 (b.wt was 8#8). What really had me concerned was ruling
out some kind of metabolic or other disorder in baby versus plain old
inadequate milk intake, which is what I was likely seeing. But I needed to
'prove' that baby would gain and thrive when given adequate milk. Mom did
feed baby in my office after consult and bf eval, baby took 4 oz by bottle.
At that point he was 18 days old and weighted 7#11. This would be a mom I
wouldn't want at all to 'turn in' to CPS, however she was just not following
up as needed. What I would *hope* is that CPS would not just take the baby
away or to the hospital but would really help the mom with her social
situation to really facilitate mom caring properly for this baby.
On this thread, does anyone slip moms a card about domestic violence issues
and where she can call for confidential help?

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA