From:
Debbie Dixon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2015 15:19:01 +1000
Hi everyone

I have an appointment booked to see a mother on Monday. This is my first private practice client with a pre-term baby and I want to clarify a few things if I may.
Baby was born at 33 weeks and is currently 7 weeks since birth. Does this mean this baby is currently around the maturity and developmental level of a newborn term baby? Therefore, should we be expecting the baby to generally behave as a term newborn at this stage in time?
I haven't got the full picture of the actual weight gains and losses yet until we meet, but would we expect the birthweight, whatever it was, to have been regained by about 14 days as for term babies, or is it different for prems? And then ongoing weight gains should be expected at the normal rate per grams per day, taking into consideration the corrected age.
Hope this makes sense.
I have been reading that there are differences of opinion as to how long these babies should be treated as pre-term. What is the opinion of people here?

Thank you for any information.

Warmly,  Debbie
Debra Dixon IBCLC CIMI PMC
AUSTRALIA
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant
Certified Infant Massage Instructor
Paediatric Massage Consultant
www.debradixonibclc.com.au