From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 1997 10:09:02 -0400
Sharon:  Although my first reaction was "here we go again, blaming
breastfeeding for everything!", I then remembered that we occasionally get
abnormal pap smears in postmenopausal women, which become normal after we
give them estrogen cream for a few weeks.  I would have to go to the texts
to find out what the probable mechanism for this might be, but there is
one similarity between menopause and breastfeeding, which is decreased
estrogen levels.  Perhaps this is the case with this mother.
The main question is:  How abnormal is the pap smear?  There are varying
degrees, and some require further study such as colposcopy and biopsy,
while some do not.  Have any other physicians on this list had to deal
with this?  Would a brief trial (2-3 weeks) of a minimal amount of
estrogen cream followed by a repeat pap be worthwhile in this mother?
I'll check with some of my colleagues.  Hope this helps.  Alicia Dermer,
MD, IBCLC.