From:
Diana Cassar-Uhl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 13:12:27 -0500
I am especially dismayed by OB offices giving formula to pregnant
women.
The OB does not have responsibility for the baby after it is born.
What
other specialty gives samples and information to treat people who do
not
come to that office and are the responsibility of another doctor?!?

I am also disgusted by this practice, and said so when I was preparing
to have my 2nd baby.

The OB, who I was seeing for parallel care (I'm in the military and my
commander would not accept medical guidance from my midwife regarding
my pregnancy and restrictions for duty), was very angry at me, and
said as much, when I let him know at 38 weeks that I was planning to
have a homebirth with my midwife.  He threatened to call CPS on me
for "endangering" the life of my yet unborn child.

I practically yelled at him in the exam room -- I was so mad!  I asked
him how he could have the audacity to threaten me with child
endangerment while holding a "gift bag" containing infant formula.
HIs answer:  "I don't decide what goes in the bag, I just hand it
out.  Most patients appreciate it."

I'm sure my attempt at education was ignored, but it sure felt good to
open my mouth that day!

--Diana in NY