From:
Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 23:12:16 -0500
Gina,

I'm in the EXACT same situation:  small US military base community with
one hospital. I've been thinking about hosting a "get acquainted" for
almost a year now and haven't been able to fix on good way to make the
staff want to attend and, at the same time, keep them from feeling
threatened, bored or even patronized.  It's such a touchy situation that
I've been paralyzed into doing nothing except talk and think about it.
Anyone with suggestions, please post to the list!  Thanks so much!!!

On an unrelated note, could someone please tell me what the initials
"FRCPC" after Dr. Jack's and others' name means?

> I've been
>toying with the idea of an informal get together with the "LCs" (not >sure of IBCLC status) and nursing staff (at least those interested in >attending) of our hospital to talk about what we all do and how we >might help each other.

>We live in a small US military base community with one hospital >(captive audience).  In the past, my coLeader and I received a lot of  >calls from the staff to handle situations that, IMO, the staff might >have handled themselves.  I don't mind offering suggestions or >information or sharing
>ideas...in fact, I feel flattered that I seem to receive so much >respect.
>And I love to share up-to-date, accurate references.  However, I'd like >to meet face-to-face and talk about the mother-to-mother support role >of a La Leche League Leader. I see my role as a counselor, offering >mothers information and support.  I am interested in what they see >their role as and how I, as a Leader, can help.   In our shared goal of >helping women breastfeed, I think of us both as important parts of the >whole.

Dee Thompson
LLL Leader, Marine Corps Wife
--
ICQ#4701013