From:
Christie Hanly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2006 14:10:08 -0600
I am a member of that silent 3000.  I suspect I represent a fair number of that population.  Many are, like me, LLLLs who lurk on Lactnet to read and learn.  There are also doulas, midwives, doctors, and other lactation-interested professionals and individuals to whom the SoP discussion has no immediate relevance.  I  am not an IBCLC and haven't made plans to sit the exam, although I have for some time held it as a "someday" idea in the back of my head.  Many have never posted at all.  In fact I don't recall ever posting before either.  I receive the digests in my inbox and sometimes go weeks without opening one.  Other times I feel a bit hungrier for intellectual stimulation and I devour every word, sometimes learning something new, other times having the wisdom of ages confirmed once again.  I was in a deleting rather than reading phase when I noticed a sudden increase in the number of digests a few days ago and decided to open one to see what caused the commotion.

How does the SoP discussion affect me?  Well, for one thing I'm AGHAST that IBLCE would put such restrictions on giving information that would contradict a doctor.  I distinctly remember discussing that in my preparation for becoming a LLLL.  I have had to give contradicting information quite frequently in order to help a mother save her nursing relationship!  To think that I might one day refer out a mother who needs more in depth assistance than I can give her as an LLLL only to have that professional I refer her to crippled into not being able to help at all is appalling.  Modern medicine in most parts of the world has not evolved to the point that physicians no longer give out erroneous breastfeeding information.  Would that it had!  We'd all have far less work to do.

I am also affected in my consideration of whether or not I do, indeed, wish to add the credential of IBCLC after my name.  I am approaching the ninth anniversary of my Leader accreditation, a fact of which I am absurdly proud.  As I understand it I now have enough hours to qualify to take the exam based on that fact.  While it is very appealing to take that step and launch myself into a stage of life where I would not only continue to do what I love, but also maybe get paid for it, I cannot consider doing so if it means I will no longer be able to speak the truth and correct the misapprehensions that complicate breastfeeding for so many mothers and babies.  I, like so many others on this list, desire to help mothers and babies because I want to pass on the joy I've had nursing my own babies and overcoming my own hurdles to do so. I/we do it simply for the love of that wonderful gift of breastfeeding we women have.  Why would I volunteer to tie my own hands?  Why would I choose to give up the freedom to speak the facts even if the doctor has it wrong?  If we don't tell them, who will?

Well, there you have it.  Someone wondered what the rest of the silent 3000 thought of it and there's my 3 cents worth.  I can only hope that this will be resolved satisfactorily and SOON because it profoundly affects everyone involved in lactation:  professionals, volunteers, mothers, and babies alike.

Sincerely,

Christie Hanly, LLLL
and MOTHER of 5 2/3 beautiful breastfed children