Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 20:54:34 -0600
Thank you for the replies to my post on the mother whose endocrinilogist
had her thyroid levels very high during pregnancy and wanted to keep them
high during the "post partum period."

You may remember that her milk supply grew lower and lower and virtually
disappeared at 10 days pp. I passed along the caution about excessive
weight loss and possible heart problems.  Mom said that she gained 50 #
during the pregnancy and had dropped 36# in the 10 days since delivery.
She felt "wired" all of the time. Her metabolism was really revved up.

I have had clients whose rapid weight loss compromised their milk supplies.

Mom put in a call to the doctor and, while waiting for a reply, dropped her
Synthroid to pre-pregnancy levels.  Within 2 days she began getting more
milk.  Today she expressed 1 ounce and was thrilled because she was down to
merely drops.

She finally got to talk with the doctor today and he said to go off the
medication for a week and then come in for a check, and then he would
adjust to a normal level. He said that it would take a week for the levels
to return to normal.

I felt that he was open and cooperative with her strong desire to
breastfeed her baby and wasn't defensive about her request to change his
orders. It was very nice to hear such an interchange.

Again, thank you for your replies.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]