From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2008 10:11:54 -0500
Dear all:

I want to explain where I think the fear of bottles may have originated because I've
worked in those environments.  And why the original boycot against Nestle had logo of an
emaciated baby inside a bottle.  If you are in an environment where you not only don't
have clean water, but even worse don't have enough water --- you cannot clean food
recepticals.  A common practice in some areas where I worked in Africa was to simply
rub sand in the food dishes to "cleanse" the food off the dish.

In some areas there are not even latrines -- so fecal contamination is even more
concentrated than where we do have toilets.  (The Myth Busters had a show that proved
what I knew from the enviromental engineers at Hopkins --- fecal contamination is
everywhere even in clean developed country kitchens no matter how many times you use
your clorox wipes).

A bottle is an enclosed container and has a teat --- both of which are much much harder
to clean than open containers.  I still remember vaguely the studies that Kathleen
Rasmussen PhD, summarized in her maternal and child nutrition class about bacterial
growth in bottles under varying conditions.

In an area without potable water, without latrines and without enough water, bottles most
decidedly do kill.  Cups still can be contaminated but are far preferable.  During
emergency conditions when sanitary systems are disrupted, all babies and children who
are not exclusively breastfed should be fed with cups, not bottles.

If you have spent a lot of time in hospitals in developing areas of the world, you don't
have to think twice about the morbidity and mortality coming from using bottles, even if
it is not formula that is put into them.

Quite frankly, after witnessing how some parents drag bottles around with them for
extended periods of time, I'm not sure that a thorough study of actual practices with
bottles would not yield findings of far more contamination than parents realize --- and I
would say even in the breast milk bottles.

Best regards, Susan Burger