From:
A Gentle Start <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 2008 09:36:55 -0400
Hello,
I have the unique pleasure/challenge of working as a doula/CBE for a
teenager due in September.  I've been helping her prepare for the birth of
her baby, and recently broached the subject of breastfeeding.  Her response
made me sad -- "I can't stand the thought of something sucking on me all
day."  I was taken aback, took a deep breath, and replied that babies do
love to suck, but that I understood how that may seem overwhelming - then
promptly changed the subject.  I would like to be able to help her
understand the benefits of breastfeeding without alienating her  --- as her
doula, she needs to feel completely supported by me.  To add to this, she
was adopted at 5 weeks of age and bottle fed, so her mother doesn't see any
real benefit to breastfeeding either.  Her mother's response was, "she's a
teenager."  I would LOVE it if anyone had suggestions on what I could do/say
--- I tried telling her that she'd lose weight faster and that made her
smile, but not enough to even consider breastfeeding.
Thank you very much, I look forward to any responses I receive.
Warmly,
Angela Leonard, IBCLC, LCCE, CD(DONA)