Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 00:00:33 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
I also understood that babies could not be overweight (obese) from just breastfeeding.  Those podgy little arms and legs are good firm stuff whereas babies overfed with forumula/cereals etc form flabby tissue and excess fat under the skin which can become a lifelong problem.

Our little Michael - famous now on Lactnet - was 9 k. by the time he was five months old (born 3.400) and fully breastfed. But now at 8.5 months the weight gain is significantly slowing down partly because he is more active and partly because he has started eating solids in addition to breastfeeding.  He particularly likes my chicken soup with carrots (without matza balls!

Fortunately nobody has suggested that he breastfeed less because since his mother returned to work he wakes much more at night, and then of course breastfeeds, probably not because of hunger but because he wants to make sure she is near him.

I wish that health professionals would stop looking at weight charts and just observe that babies with glowing healthy skin, bright eyes, full and wet nappies and so much energy they leave everyone exhausted are doing well.

Wendy Blumfield
NCT Prenatal Tutor/BFC
IsraelChildbirth Education Centre  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2