From:
Cchris Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 14:34:24 EST
Dear fellow lactnetters,
 I was really taken back on Tuesday A colleague stopped me to say they were
glad that a young woman with well controlled Anorexia was coming to a support
group I help run.( baby 8 weeks breastfeeding well gaining weight +++) She
then told me after a meeting with her doctor, community psychiatric nurse and
herself they had decided that to make sure the baby was getting enough fats,
especially LCP's etc they had advised her to give a bottle of formula a day!
     Now I am depressed. I was so shocked by the ignorance shown by my
colleagues on the composition of breast milk. I feel this has come about
because of the belief that the information given out by companies seeking to
undermine breast milks special and unique properties is correct , that formula
is better for a baby .
     This young woman was unhappy when I called to see her. She had felt she
was doing well with her baby, it was growing well and her own weight and
health were good. She just could not understand the  advice given her. Well
you can guess  what came next. The formula was disposed of ,she feels back in
control and happier. Baby is happier nursing well.
    Bye for now Chris Wood ( Uk)