From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:13:50 EST
Whoaaa Pat,Diane and others, time out here!
Please let me assure you that the intent of my original 2 posts was not meant
to indict LLL trained LCs!
If you reread them you may realize (hopefully:)) that what I was doing was
questioning Christine's expression of her understanding of LLL's requirements
to sit for the exam.
The message that I was hearing from her was that she understood LLL's
requirement to be 5 yrs. of experience as a LLL leader( regardless of the
actual time spent counseling during those years). My intent was to discern
whether this was, in fact, 5yrs. of direct counseling hours vs. 5 yrs. time,
potentially made up of unknown counseling hours. The difference between these
two points, in my mind, is huge and one that I need to distinguish between
and hence the reason why I asked the QUESTION!
The fact that Christine happened to be a LLL leader as opposed to RD, or RN
pursuing LC certification is happenstance and obviously out of my control.
That is, I would have reacted to her statements in EXACTLY the same way no
matter what her path to LCdom.
 Up until the time of these posts I had one idea of what it meant to be a LLL
trained LC and this "image" was one of a vastly varied and rich culture of
women but all had a minimum level of prep *potentially* different than the
one described above.
Thanks to Mary Kay who went on to answer my original question, a couple of
posts after my own. My understanding of her reply is that it is the
*counseling hours*, actual time spent counseling, that serves as the
prerequisite for the exam. This is very reassuring!!
You and other posters seem to suggest that LLL training via leader experience
better prepares LCs than other *routes*. So I guess you are angry with me for
doing *potentially* (altering my referral base, based on LLL trained vs. Non)
what you claim to do routinely!
To the poster who referred to me as a RN/IBCLC "type".....tsk,tsk,tsk!@#$%^&*!
Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin,Massachusetts