From:
Duncan Broadfoot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 19:05:18 EST
In the UK, where back to sleep has been taken up in a big way (government
campaign), the SIDS figures have plumetted.  Recommendations are (I think) Place
baby on his back, don't overheat, don't smoke near baby, and call doctor if baby
seems unwell.  No - nothing about breastfeeding.  But placing babies on their
backs has been the main thing.  And we don't go in for fleeces, OR wedges - the
thinking seems to be that if the baby is able to get onto it's front, it's
likely to be safe.  I believe that in Scotland with 60,000 births per annum,
there were only 40 SIDS cases last year.  Certainly in Glasgow which is a major
centre of population, they no longer have a support group for bereaved parents -
there just aren't enough of them.  Whatever is causing the reduction, it ain't
breastfeeding - our figures are increasing but not that much!

The only credible explanation I have heard (other than babies sleeping on their
backs) is that parents are just so much more aware.  The campaign brought home
the reality of cot death, with the help of a very popular daytime TV presenter
who lost a baby through SIDS and was responsible for pushing the UK government
into acting on the NZ results.

Of course other research continues eg looking at proximity to mother, but I
don't think we should discount back to sleep.

Mary Broadfoot, Paisley, Scotland