From:
Kathy & Paul Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 12:45:31 -0500
> If so, this is of GRAVE concern to me. When I refer to another LC from the
> "list" for our area, I will have no idea, unless I know them personally,
> whether or not they have the experience necessary to remedy an
> issue. Never
> mind the fact that the skill levels of these LCs reflect on the
> respectability of my profession! YIKES!!

But isn't this the case whenever a referral of any kind is made?  Unless we
are personally or professionally familiar with that person's skills we
*don't* know whether they have necessary experience or skills.  This holds
true for many professions.  My sister is a physical therapist.  She is
qualified, certified and experienced.  One could look her up in a book of
PT's and assume that since she is in the book she is qualified in all
aspects of PT.  Not true.  She has an area of expertise...post-stroke and
post-trauma rehab.  As much as I would like her to fix my aching back, she
can't.

I am a speech therapist.  My area of expertise is school-age remediation.
Don't ask me to work with a post-stroke person with aphasia.  I am also an
LLL Leader and IBCLC.  My area of expertise is older babies.  I have tons of
experience with them.  Very little with NICU babies.  Does that mean I am
less qualified as an IBCLC or SLP because I have experience in one specific
area of the profession?  I don't think so.

Kathy