From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:53:34 -0800
Hi All,
Francine writes:

>>Could someone clarify for me what the problem with "hand pumps" are?

I don't see a problem with hand pumps, provided that they are quality hand
pumps.  There are H-P's out there that are truely garbage.  THey simply
don't work, are hard to put together, cause pain, etc.

>>I understand the problem with ABM gift bags and the impact on breastfeeding.

This is part of the problem at this hosp.  The problem may now be amplified
by the addition of a hand pump (made by a pump company and put into R-ss bags).

>>I also understand the issues surrounding putting a manual pump in an ABM
gift bag.

This is the info we need right away.  What are the studies that show these
problems.  I know what the problems are, but we need written documentation
if at all possible, to show the people in charge that this is NOT a good
idea.  |(Too bad we can't get them to follow the WHO code, or at least part
of it.)

>>This is the second post on the list that has referred to problems related
to >>the small hand pumps themselves.

I'm sorry, I did not say that there was a problem with hand pumps.  My post
specifically stated that there was a problem with putting the pump in the
"gift" bag, not a problem with the pump itself.  (Although, from what I
understand, this particular pump is not all that good anyway.)  It is my
personal opinion that hand pumps can work perfectly fine for most women.
There are different types out there made by the reputable pump compainies
and they work well for most people.  However, I do see a problem with poorly
made hand pumps made by formula companies, and I see a BIG problem when
pump company works with a formula company to get hand pumps to new mother's
in hospital.  Ethics is obviously a problem here, IMHO.

>>I am not aware of problems related specifically to the use of the manual
>>breast pump and I would appreciate information on this.

As far as problems with hand pumps in general, here are a few possible
problems I have seen:

 Pumps that are garbage:
* Pump not working causing mom to feel as if she has no milk and then gives
up    BF
* Pump causing PAIN and injury to mother causing her to give up BF
* Pump difficult to put together and keep clean

 Problems with quality hand pumps:
* Moms using the pump first when they run into problems BEFORE seeking
professional help (We have seen many moms lose their supply and fail at BF
because they sought help too late, thinking that the hand pump would get
them through a serious difficulty)
* Moms thinking that the hand pump would work as well as an electric pump to
keep up milk supply for a premie.  SHe loses her supply in the end and ends
up feeding ABM.
* Not all pumps work well for all women and it can get expensive trying to
get the one that works best.
* Carpal tunnel and hand pumps don't mix.
* One armed women and two-handed pumps don't mix.  (had that one!)

In general hand pumps can be a great way to get some milk here and there for
baby for those times when mom must be away for a few hours and can't take
baby.  But, too many times they are being used inappropriately and babies
and moms are suffering.  Now, there are always exceptions.  We had a lady
from Russia in our WIC program who found out that she could get an electric
pump to help her provide milk for her 27wk premie.  THis was after she had
been pumping with a M---la hand pump for 2.5mo!  She had managed to get a
sustain a great milk supply.  We were appropriately amazed!
Education is the key, methinks...

Jay

Jay Simpson, CLE
Sacramento, CA
"No Miracles performed here, just a lot of love and hard work."
ICQ#4681696