From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 19:22:42 -0500
I believe the situation mentioned is when mother and baby are separated at
birth because of baby's condition. There shouldn't be any reason that a
normal mother/baby dyad would need to be pumping.

When I was an LC back in mid 80's we made it a policy that if baby had no
access to mom, then pumping needed to start in first 12 hours.  And
sometimes it is mom who is incapacitated, not baby, but dad or the nurses
can help her preserve breastfeeding by pumping.

I liked someone else's idea of getting that colostrum bolus early to save
for first tiny feeds when baby is able.

The idea of beginning pumping early helps avoid engorgement.  It's a real
pain if baby finally gets to mom on day 3-4 and has to deal with a huge non
elastic overfull breast with flat nipples because of the engorgement.

On the pychological side there is the idea that colostrum is precious and we
want her baby to get every drop.  And she is doing the best she can for her
baby off in NICU,   where the nurses are doing the care.  Only mom can make
that precious liquid for her baby.   My philosophy for the day :-) Pat in
SNJ